Monday, October 5, 2009

Confession: Technology is NOT my thing!

To be honest, I was not excited about taking this class and even less enthused about this project--digital tools? Demonstrating technology to the class? Delicious what? I'm not a technophobe, but I do think I was born a generation or two late. Technology and the digital world has never really sparked my fancy, but rather held an unprivileged position at the top of my "Unnecessary" list, despite the countless conveniences - and more often, necessities - that I take advantage of as a result of advanced technology. Maybe it's fear, maybe it's an aversion to social trend bandwagoning, maybe it's complete idiocy; but the facts remain--technology typically confuses, overwhelms and frustrates me. So why am I in this class?

As an librarian and information professional, it is my job to not only grapple with the conveniences and challenges of technology in order to better serve as an educator for communities I serve, but also to welcome the changing face of information distribution so as to not be left behind in ignorant existence while the rest of the progressive world moves ahead. While I am becoming increasingly open to adapting to, and perhaps even becoming fond of, the digital world, I still maintain an air of caution in supporting too strongly the go-ahead with tech advances because of my own experience with the digital divide between a place like the United States and developing nations like Tanzania.

Discussions and readings in LIS644 have been an immense influence on my perspective and ideas about technology, information distribution and the world of libraries both domestically and internationally, and as it turns out, I am loving the class! I look forward to each session in order to better educate myself on useful tools and helpful strategies for assessing and implementing appropriate technologies in a dynamic professional field.

No comments:

Post a Comment